1. Status– Alpine Insurance Services Ltd , 250 London Road, Hadleigh, Essex SS7 2DE is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority – Our FCA Register number is 302557. Our permitted business is the advising and arranging of non investment insurance contracts. You can check this on the FCA’s Register by visiting the FCA’s website www.fca.gov.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0845 606 1234. Please keep this document with your insurance records as it contains important and useful information relating to your insurance arrangements with Alpine Insurance
2. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) & The Prudential Regulation Authority – The FCA & PRA are independent watchdogs that regulate all financial services. It requires us to give you this document. Use this information to decide if our services are right for you.
3. Which services will we provide you with? – We will advise and make a recommendation for you after we have assessed your needs, we will then administer your policy for the duration and carry out any amendments required. More importantly, you will receive personal assistance from our staff when preparing a claim under your policy.
4. Whose Products do we offer?– We offer products from a range of Insurers – Composites, Underwriting Agencies and Lloyd’s Brokers for all General Insurance Products. A list of the commercial and personal insurance products we offer is displayed within our website.
5. Solvency of Insurers – We cannot guarantee the solvency of any Insurer with which we place business. This mean that you may still be liable for any premium due and not be able to recover the premium paid, whether in full or in part, should an Insurer become insolvent.
6. Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)? (Consumer Customers Only)– We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business/client and the circumstances of the claim. Consumer insurance contracts are covered for 90% of the claim. Further information is available from the Financial Conduct Authority or the FSCS. The FSCS can be visited on the web at www.fscs.org.uk or by contacting on: 020 7892 73
7. What to do if you have a complaint – If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us;
…in writing: Write to Alpine Insurance Services Limited, Complaints Department, 323/325 London Road, Hadleigh, Essex. SS7 2BT
…by phone: Telephone 01702 552904
We will try to resolve your complaint within three working days. If we are unable to do this, we will write to you within five working days to either tell you what we have done to resolve the problem or to acknowledge your complaint and let you know when you can expect a full & final response. We will always aim to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, but if we are not able to issue our response within 8 weeks, we will write and indicate when we will be able to provide a final response. We will also provide you with a copy of the FOS Complaint Leaflet.
If having received our final response you are still dissatisfied or we have been unable to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks, you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) (Consumer Only);
Website : www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
Telephone : 0800 023 4567 | 0300 123 9123
8. Consumer Insurance Act – Your Insurance is based upon the information provided to the insurance company and you must ensure that all such information is complete and accurate, and any facts that may influence the insurers decision to accept and pay a valid claim are disclosed, such as: Accidents/Claims/Motor Convictions/Criminal Convictions/Policies that have been cancelled or that have had special terms imposed.
Incorrect or misleading information could result in your insurance being cancelled or invalid and result in all or part of a claim not being paid.
9. Financial Crime – Please be aware that current UK Money Laundering regulations require us to obtain adequate ‘Know Your Client’ information about you. We are also required to cross check you against the HM Financial Sanctions Consolidated List as part of the information gathering process. We are obliged to report to the National Crime Agency any evidence or suspicion of financial crime at the first opportunity and we are prohibited from disclosing any such report. We will not permit our employees or other persons engaged by them to be either influenced or influence others in respect of undue payments or privileges from or to insurers or customers.
10. Consumer Credit Licence – We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of our current Consumer Credit Licence.
11. Protecting your information (Data Protection) – All personal information about you or your company will be treated as private and confidential (even when you are no longer a customer), except where the disclosure is made at your request or with your consent in relation to administering your insurance, and except where law requires us. The FSA may ask us to provide them with access to our customer records in order that they may carry out a review of our activities. Some or all of the information you supply to us in connection with your insurance proposal, may be passed to other insurance companies for underwriting and claims purposes. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right of access to see personal information about you that is held in our records, whether electronically or manually. If you have any queries, please write to our Managing Director at the address shown above.
12. Use of Credit Agencies and Personal Data Searches – To make sure you get the best offer from Insurers now or at any renewal or at any time and to protect customers from fraud and to verify your identity, we/they may use publicly available data which is obtain from a variety of sources, including your own website, a credit reference agency and other external organisations. Their search will appear on your credit report whether or not your applications proceed. As well as these searches insurance companies may use a credit check to ascertain the most appropriate payment options for you. This credit check will also appear on your credit report whether or not your applications proceed. If you do not wish these checks to be carried out please contact our office and we shall mark your file accordingly, however this may result in us not being able to offer the best possible insurance quotation available.
13. Protecting your money – Prior to your premium being forwarded to the insurer, and for your protection, we will hold your money as an agent of the insurer (in which case your insurance is treated as being paid for). Your money will be protected at all times in strict accordance of the requirements under FSA CASS rules. We also reserve the right to retain interest earned on this account.
14. How to cancel your policy – You may cancel your insurance at any time by sending us written instructions to cancel by either letter or email, or by calling our office on 01702 552904. If you choose to send your instructions by email, please note that we can only process requests issued on an email account owned by the policyholder unless you have already granted Data Protection Authority to the email account owner. The charges that will apply, which are made by your insurers, are detailed in the general conditions section of the insurance document. We may also keep an amount that reflects our administrative costs for arranging and cancelling of the insurance.
When considering cancellation, please read your policy carefully as many commercial insurance policies are ‘Minimum Deposit’, which means, there will be no refund in the event of cancellation. This would apply whether you have paid in full or are paying your premium by instalments.
Consumers – As long as no claim has been made under your insurance policy, you may cancel the insurance, without giving reason, by sending us written notice or calling our office on 01702 552904. If cancelling within 14 days of the policy’s inception, the insurers will make a charge equal to the period of cover you have had, this charge will be subject to a minimum amount, a policy fee and Insurance Premium Tax. We may also keep an amount that reflects our administrative costs of arranging and cancelling the insurance.
Minimum & Deposit policies if cancelled, will not generate any rebate in the annual premium or fees that you paid or have agreed to pay
15. Payments – We can accept payment by cheque, cash, postal orders, debit card and by direct debit (either insurers or third party insurance finance providers)
We can usually arrange payment by direct debit with the insurer in question or a third party insurance finance provider. Please ask our staff for details as terms vary between insurers and separate finance companies. If this method of payment is chosen you should note, where a claim occurs, all payments are still due. Should a default situation arise on these payments, any extra costs incurred will be charged to you. Please note that should you wish to cancel a policy mid-term the premium that you have paid may not cover the insurer’s time on risk charge. Should this be the case we, the insurer, or the finance company, will ask you to pay this short fall immediately.
You can make payments by certain debit cards free of any extra charge. A charge will be made for credit card payments.
16. Charges – Due to the very small margins insurers allow us to operate within, commission levels are at their lowest since Alpine was formed. We now have to charge for the services we provide. These are fully laid out below;
Personal Products – New Policy & Renewal Charges – The figure quoted for new policies and renewals will always include a non-refundable charge of up to £50.00.
Commercial Products – New Policy & Renewal Charges – The figure quoted for new policies and renewals will always include a non- refundable charge of up to £250.00.
Where we place your business with an insurer who does not give us a placing commission, we will make a straight arrangement/handling fee. This fee will be determined and disclosed at the point of presenting our quotation.
Credit Cards – A non-refundable charge of 2.5% will be made for this method of payment.
Motor Legal Expenses Insurance (Optional) – The amount of £19.00 will be added to Motor Insurance premiums to include this cover for our clients. Please refer to the enclosed leaflet for full cover details.
Household Legal Expenses Insurance (Optional) – The amount of £12.50 can be added to Household Insurance premiums to include this cover for our clients. Please refer to the enclosed leaflet for full cover details.
Policy Adjustments – Any policy adjustment during the term of the policy a non-refundable adjustment fee of £25.00 will be charged.
Re-issue of Documents – If we are requested to re-issue certificates, cover-notes or policies for any reason, a non- refundable charge of £15.00 will be applied plus any extra premium required by your Insurer.
Late Payment – If a payment is over 7 days late, a charge of £15.00 will be applied.
Cancelled Policies – A number of charges will be applied. A minimum charge of £15.00 will always be applied. If the policy is not replaced with us, a charge of £25.00 is applied plus any loss of commission up to 20% will be deducted from the Insurers refunded premium to reflects our administrative costs of arranging and cancelling the insurance.. Refunds of premiums will be calculated on insurers terms. If you pay by direct debit the amount paid may not cover the insurers’ time on risk charge and you will be required to pay this shortfall. Before you cancel your policy please contact our office for details.
Cancelled/Declined Cheques – If a cheque is returned by your bank, a charge of £25.00 will be applied every time it is returned.
Instalment Default – Please refer to the “Direct Debit Guarantee” within this booklet
17. Insurers Terms – All Terms provided by us are subject to insurer’s terms, conditions, policy wordings, endorsements and warranties.
18. Cover – When cover is granted, it is conditional that the agreed premium is paid, or we have your agreement to pay the premium over a specified number of instalments. NB. No cover will be in place until we confirm cover to you. Once cover is in place we must be in receipt of any relevant documentation and payment within the specified periods or insurers may cancel all cover, subject to us providing you with 7 days notice. There are no days of grace with Insurance, therefore, please ensure that you do not allow cover to lapse, we must have your renewal payment/instructions prior to the renewal date. Many renewal premiums include loyalty discounts that will not be available if new cover needs to be affected.